Thursday, August 06, 2009

Something scurried by in the heart of darkness

This will be brief, as I'm almost incoherently travel-addled, and purloining the hotel's office computer to write this. After more than 24 hours of flights spanning three continents, I'm here! Here is the KIA Lodge, next to Kilimanjaro International airport. Tomorrow I'll head in to Arusha, the town where a lot of the safaris in northern Tanzania leave from. For now I have a bungalow on the edge of a big dark plain, with scrubby brush and dim lighting from the moon through clouds. Something scurried away when the porter turned on the light on the front porch for me. What stayed was tons of geckos, which I hope will minimize the mosquito action. Headed to bed now, with strange new smells wafting in the moonlit breeze around me...

No comments: